At DESUN there is a premier clinic for the treatment of Thalassemia. DESUN is equipped to conduct several Thalassemia tests for instance Genetic Counselling and Genetic Testing. At DESUN doctors use three standard treatments for moderate and severe forms of Thalassemia. These include Blood Transfusions, Chelation (Ke-LAY-shun) Therapy, and Folic acid Supplements.
Some Quick Thalassemia Facts
What is Thalassemia?
Thalassemia is an inherited autosomal recessive blood disease that originated in the Mediterranean region thousands of years ago.
How does a person get Thalassemia?
A normal person has 46 Chromosomes, 23 from their father and 23 from their mother. All forms of Thalassemia are inherited, passed from parents who carry the mutated Thalassemia gene in their DNA, to their children.
What are the genetics of Thalassemia?
The following are the possibilities-
- If both parents do not carry the Thalassemia disease or trait, then the child would be normal.
- If one parent carries the Thalassemia trait but the other is normal, then the child will have a 50 % chance of inheriting the Thalassemia trait.
- If both parents have the Thalassemia trait, the child will have a higher chance of inheriting Thalassemia disease.
What are the different types of Thalassemia?
- Alpha thalassemia
- Beta Thalassemia
What are the effects of Thalassemia?
Mild to severe Anemia.
Individuals with mild Anemia encounter-
- Shortness of breath
Individuals with severe Anemia encounter-
- Enlarged Spleen
- Enlarged Liver
- Heart palpitations
- Mild Jaundice
- Bone formation is defective usually enlargement of the cheek bones.
What are the possible treatments available for Thalassemia?
An individual with only the Thalassemia trait would require to have-
- Regular Doctor visits every 2-6 times a year
- Haemoglobin Levels Tests
- Growth and Development Progress
- Proper Nutrition
- Bone Marrow Transplant
- Cord Blood Transplant
- Gene replacement
- Fetal Haemoglobin Manipulation
TEMPORARILY NOT OPERATIVE
FOR MORE DETAILS CALL: 90 5171 5171
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST